lunes, 19 de diciembre de 2011

Merry Xmas with Tux and a PCLinuxOS TV

It's vacation time already and I've been away from the blogosphere. I remember that, before 2009 (when was still a Windows user), I longed for this free time to come. No, not because I was included in Bill Gates' gift list, but because I really needed this free time to format my hard drive and get rid of all the malware pestering the OS...

As a Linux user, the X-mas virus cleaning ritual stopped for good, so I have been sharing with my wife and my one year old daughter instead. It's Christmas, so we bought some presents and engaged into some home improvements. My daughter has already learned how to walk and has turned into a charming little menace: she grabs all objects in her path, either to keep her balance or to examine them, so we had to move the old TV to a safe place and bought a 19' LED screen, which my wife asked me to mount on a wall, away from Eimi's inquiring eyes and dangerous little hands.

This thingy has a VGA port. Taking advantage of it, I connected my laptop to the flat screen to surprise my wife with something she had never seen: Linux on a TV!
She is also a Linux user and really liked to see the penguin OS there. Of course, I know that the operating system of those TVs is probably Linux anyway but, even so, it was refreshing to see the KWIN effects. My wife was, of course, delighted with the possibilities of her new TV.

3 comentarios:

  1. You started watching the "bullfights" already? Oh, no...it's the logo of PCLOS! :P

    That screen looks good running Linux!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. The bullfights! You must be delighted having such merry environment so close to your house X_X

    ResponderEliminar
  3. haha! it's great to use a tv as a monitor, I do it all the time on my parent's LCD 32' screen.
    Though right now I have a 22' LED monitor for my netbook, I'm thinking of saving for a 47' LED TV for when I buy and put myself together my gaming rig. Still have to save for that first however so it's not happening anytime soon.

    Blessings for these hollydays, sensei!!

    ResponderEliminar

And the Magic is Ready!

Two weeks ago, DistroWatch reported that Mageia 9 had been released. Back then, I was swamped with work and, even when the Mageia notifier ...